The Northern Tech Awards have been running since 2011 and are part of the events portfolio of GP Bullhound, the leading international technology investment bank. Once a year The Northern Tech Awards recognise the fastest growing Technology Companies in the North.
In 2017 GP Bullhound is partnering with Tech North, the government backed tech sector intitative, to jointly find, recognise and celebrate the region’s biggest tech success stories by compiling the first Northern Tech 100 League Table.
The Awards provide a unique way of celebrating the innovative technologies and businesses developed in the region, and recognise those who have contributed to their success.
Early stage technology companies will be showcased at the 2017 awards in partnership with the Tech North ‘Northern Stars’ initiative.
Each year the Award Ceremony is held in a different town at a specially chosen venue, with audio-visual effects designed to create a great tech atmosphere and to stir the entrepreneurial spirits of the audience. Recent awards have been held in:
- 2014: Manchester, a leading hub in the internet sector and home to a large number of successful technology companies.
- 2015: Leeds, home to the University of Leeds Digital Technologies Hub and the Leeds Innovation Centre.
- 2016: Liverpool, a city recognised as one of the UK’s leading business destinations, where blue-chips, start-ups, entrepreneurs and emerging talent are attracted by investment opportunities.
The 2017 Northern Tech Awards will be held in Newcastle Upon Tyne which has one of the strongest tech communities in the UK.
The event is invitation-only, attended by CEOs, entrepreneurs and business leaders in the Digital Economy and provides a fantastic networking opportunity for like-minded entrepreneurs to make contact and exchange ideas. The event is free, run as a not-for-profit financed by GP Bullhound and a small group of sponsors who want to support entrepreneurship across the North.
The Top 100 Fastest Growing Technology Companies are ranked in the Tech 100 League Table by revenue growth over the last three years. The top 50 are invited to the Northern Tech Awards ceremony to receive an award.
From the Fastest Growing Technology Companies, the Judges select six companies worthy of special Judges’ Awards. The Judges will also select a winner from the Region’s 15 Northern Stars.
The Award Categories are:
- Top 50 Fastest Growing Companies in the North with revenues £500k plus in 2014
- The Region’s Top 20 Northern Stars from the competition run by Tech North in 2016
- Fastest Growing Company of the Year (with revenues under £10m)
- Fastest Growing Larger Company of the Year (with revenues over £10m)
- Tech4Good Award
- Judges’ Innovation Award
- Judges’ Award for International Success
- Judges’ Leadership Award
- Judges’ Young Entrepreneur Award
- Overall Judges’ Award
The winners get an opportunity to network with their peers as well as present to and meet with the Judges, most of whom have built and successfully sold their own technology firms. The 2017 judges include Charles Sharland (Founder, Appsense), Mark Sebba (former CEO Net-a-Porter), Richard Flint (CEO Sky Betting & Gaming), Lord Clive Hollick (Director, ProSiebenSat.1), Richard Law (CEO, GB Group plc), Steve Purdham (Chairman, 3Rings) and David Rowan (Editor WIRED).
The Northern Tech Awards 2017 are supported and sponsored by Barclays Bank, Squire Patton Boggs, OBI Property, Performance Horizon Group, Teesside University, Tees Valley Combined Authority, Berenberg, Frazer John Recruitment, Inflexion, London Stock Exchange, Mercia Technologies and Tech North.